Wednesday, June 8, 2011

set for summer

I was inspired this week by Cait over at Cait + Create to go thrift shopping and see what treasures I could find.

To find out how I went from this:
to this:
...read below.
Following Cait's guidelines, I threw out the window everything I've ever done when op-shopping. Usually I spend ages searching for something just right and then end up not finding anything. This time I went in with an open mind. I picked a size 13 dress, and chose it based on the fabric. Some fabrics tend to show their wear more than others, but this one had potential.

Here's the before:
You should have seen Neil's face when I showed him :) I had to assure him I wasn't going to start wearing "mom" dresses. Not yet, anyway ;)

The top of the dress actually fit pretty well, so all I needed to do to alter it was to cut a chunk off the bottom and hem it.

I found a belt for $4.99, and then finished the outfit with a white cardigan I already had.

Here's the after:

A brand new summer dress for $10! Not bad.

3 comments:

Arijaan said...

Oh my GOODNESS - this is AWESOME, wow. . .you have skills - you look so pretty in your new outfit!!

Caitlin@cait. create. said...

So cute! Great job on your outfit and thanks for the shout out :)

tamz said...

Thanks Arijaan!! :) I'm really happy with how it turned out! I think I'm going to wear it to a wedding later in June! It really couldn't be easier to make, and so much fun!